Our Blog

If you have contacted another surety agency that has never heard of the bond you need, call our firm. We are experienced and have probably issued the bond in the past.

Fighting Eviction: Stay for Use and Occupancy

When a commercial or residential tenant is being evicted from their space by a landlord, CPLR 5519 [a] [6] provides for a stay for use and occupancy. The court issues a judgment of eviction which requires the tenant to vacate the property. Tenants can appeal the eviction and, pending the appeal, post a bond to stop it; this is called a stay for use and occupancy.

read more

Understanding the Importance of Attachment Bonds

Since prejudgment attachment cases often involve fraud — like when a company is defrauded out of money or property and needs to immediately have that money or property turned over to a third party who is the sheriff of the county where the property is located — an attachment proceeding is a necessity in situations like these. An undertaking or bond is a requirement according to New York Civil Practice Law and Rules (CPLR) for attachment proceedings.

read more

The Requirements to Stay the Execution of a Judgment in PA’s State Court

When a money judgment is entered against an entity in Pennsylvania’s State Court, an appropriate security in the amount of 120% of the judgment is required in addition to the filing of the Notice of Appeal in order to stay the execution of a judgment. A supersedeas surety bond would suffice. In order to obtain the supersedeas bond, the surety would review the financial statements of the entities applying for the bond, copies of the judgment and notice of appeal are needed.

read more

Undertaking Provided for in Section 51 of the General Municipal Law and Article 78 of the Civil Practice Law and Rule

Recently, we had a request to set a bond amount pursuant to Section 51 of the General Municipal Law and Article 78 of the Civil Practice Law and Rules. This bond was intended to stop the Mayor and members of the Board of Trustees of a town from doing something an individual living in that town deemed to be illegal and improper.

read more

Undertaking on a Preliminary Injunction Bond

When a client seeks injunctive relief, the judge may require an Undertaking on a Preliminary Injunction Bond. There are a few things to know about this type of bond: it can either be required of the defendant or of the plaintiff, it will enjoin the opposing party or a third party, and it is usually more detailed and longer lasting than the previously issued temporary restraining order (TRO) — upon the posting of an undertaking in a sum that the court determines. Note that the previously issued TRO may or may not have been also bonded.

read more

Receivership Bonds for Real Estate and Business

A Receivership Bond is created when a company, but more commonly a piece of real estate, is in dispute. For example, a dispute could occur between the bank and a real estate owner if the bank is not receiving mortgage payments. If the property has tenants, these individuals would need to be protected in the event of a property seizure. In this case, the court determines that a Receiver of Rents needs to be appointed.

read more

Securing a Temporary Restraining Order Bond

A temporary restraining order (TRO) is a short-term solution that can protect an individual. 

There are different reasons why a client would make an application to the New York State Court for a Temporary Restraining Order. For example, if an attorney feels their client will be harmed by an action of someone or an entity, they can make an application to the court. The application is through an order to show cause. The Judge can then order a “TRO bond,” also known as an undertaking on a temporary restraining order.

read more

Request a free consultation

New York, NY
15 Maiden Lane Suite #800
New York, NY 10038

Tel: 212-227-7277
Fax: 212-233-1405
Toll Free (only NJ and NY): 800-720-7277